Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Absolutely covered in...




Volkswagens.

I know you were thinking that I would say wildflowers so breathtaking that I wanted to pretend I was Maria and sing "the hills are alive" etc. You may have even thought I was going to fill in that abysmal blank with the word "books" because I read them so much. Possibly even "fabric" because I have entirely too much and it is beautiful to behold.


But that is just not the case. We were creeping down the country road and happened upon an old VW mechanics shop that looked small and had a handful of clunkers out front. My adventurous husband then says to me, "you see that little dirt road between this shop and that trailer? Well let's just see what is back there." So we take his truck down that road and see a crumbling yet very tall privacy fence that should be fired because he was failing in his attempt to keep anything private.


Before we could see much of anything but vies, a very unfriendly scowling teenager on a 4-wheeler rolled up to us at the opening of the fence and stared us down. So we attempt the friendly "hello" at which he keeps the stoic scowl firmly planted on his young face. I mean, it's not like we live in a free country or anything. This road, albeit dirt, was not private and had no posted notice. Also, what if we were the inhabitants of that dilapidated trailer next door? He would not know if we had just acquired it by some personal misfortune. So, we ignore the rude teenager and we look over that fence and that is when we first saw what true hoarding looks like.


I gasped in joy and also is sickness that someone could actually be such a VW glutton. It was almost like I was enraged at the selfishness of one person to harbour all of these beautiful bugs and buses and ghias and square backs and fastbacks. But then I was compassionate at the thought of the illness that this collector has.


I can understand in some small scale way the hold that these cars can have over someone- my husband is 27 and has owned a total of 5 in the 10 years he could even drive. We just acquired a new one on Saturday. I would say that he has a small addiction to buses. And so you can see why this would be a truly incredible sight to behold. I will go back and take pictures for your enjoyment ( and mine).

No comments: